8.31.2013

Just B...

Broken

This morning, as some of you already know, Little Man and I had to say goodbye to our Great Pyrenees mix, Emmie.  I had been putting off bringing in Emmie for the entire summer, but this morning I could see it was definitely time. 


Emmie was not the most exciting or energetic dog in the world, but we loved her.  

Driving home after telling Emmie goodbye a startling thought came to mind. Here I was, crying for the loss of my pet who I had been part of our life for years, which is understandable.

But how often do I shed tears (or even think twice) about the human loss and pain in the world around me?

For the elderly sitting in rest-homes with no one to care for them. For the women and children in other countries that are bought and sold as property.  For the children in our country that don't know what it's like to have someone love them unconditionally. For those individuals struggling with mental illness. For those families with special needs children that they love, but who feel overwhelmed.

 When we love, we open ourselves up to great joy, as well as great pain. There is no 'together forever' on this side of Heaven. And so, we must weigh our options. 

Is caring (loving) someone outside of ourselves worth the risk? I think it is.

Thanks Emmie for reminding me of that.



34 A new commandment I give to you, that you love one another; as I have loved you, that you also love one another. 35 By this all will know that you are My disciples, if you have love for one another.”

John 13:34-35



13 And now abide faith, hope, love, these three;
 but the greatest of these is love.

1 Corinthians 13:13

Vote for me @ Top Mommy Blogs - Mom Blog Directory
Click the banner above to vote for Just B. @Top Mommy Blogs! You can vote once a day.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your support in our journey.