8.14.2013

Growing Fast, Slowing Down

Little Man and Baby B are growing up too fast. This summer, in my attempt to get everything ready for Baby B's homecoming, I have been trying to pack in (at least in spurts) a lot of projects . 

Confession: Sometimes I think that I get so caught up in being a grown up that I forget how important it is to stop and do kid stuff with Little Man. 

The other day my cell phone rang just as Little Man and I were getting ready to head off and have one of our adventures. What was different this time was that I ignored that call and said, "We have fishing to do buddy, I'll call them back later." The smile on his face and the way his eyes lit up were priceless. And yet, I felt my heart catch a bit. 

Phone call interruptions happen pretty frequently and usually I stop and talk to the person (being the people pleaser that I am) and Little Man has to wait. It's okay to teach patience, right? Yes. Sometimes they need to just wait patiently for mom to be done on the phone. But, how important is that phone call? More important than the plans we have made? Would I do that if I had plans with a friend?

What am I teaching him when a random person on the phone is more important than him? When checking on an email is more important than looking him in the eye and hearing his story? When I'm laughing more at my Facebook news feed than at the fun we are having together? When I just pretend to listen to his stories.

Am I saying this happens all the time? No. But I think sometimes it does (which is hard to say). 


Which is more important, how many 'likes' I get on my status update, or how much my child 'likes' our day together?

Today, I ran with Little Man to the garden (well, jogged) because he said "Let's run!" with hopeful look in his eyes. The smile on his face was worth it. He couldn't believe that I was actually trying to run with him. He even commented, "This is just the right speed for a good jog." My little coach.

So, sorry people, if I let your call go to voice mail some days or if I don't respond immediately to your email. 

I'm probably out jogging with my Little Man.

Vote for me @ Top Mommy Blogs - Mom Blog Directory
Click the banner above to vote for Just B. @Top Mommy Blogs! You can vote once a day.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your support in our journey.