7.16.2013

Sometimes, Age Does Make a Difference

Has anyone besides me noticed that depending on your age, a simple sentence can mean something completely different? I'll give you an embarrassing example from my past. Now please don't judge.

In my early years of teaching, I taught a reading class to sixth graders. One fine spring day, I was chatting with my students about sandals versus flip flops. The conversation went a little something like this.

Me: Yeah, I hate how thongs feel. They are so uncomfortable. 

My class: Cricket sounds and horrified stares.

Me: They are so uncomfortable in between my toes.

One very kind student: Oh, Miss B, we call those shoes flip flops now, thongs are something different.

Me (now also horrified): Oh nasty! I was talking about the shoes. 


Today, I made the comment "Is it hot in here, or is it just me?" My teenage niece looked horrified, my mom (Grandma) thought nothing of it. And no, I wasn't implying I was hot. Just that I was hot.

What a difference some years make.

Vote for me @ Top Mommy Blogs - Mom Blog Directory
Click the banner above to vote for Just B. @Top Mommy Blogs! You can vote once a day.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your support in our journey.