7.20.2013

Just B...

...Yourself
Little Man had his second soccer tournament today. The tournament was an invitational that the area soccer association sponsors each summer. You see, although he has been playing soccer for years, I have been hesitant to have Little Man begin playing at the competitive level.  


Little Man has the World Cup written into his version of the future. He's all, "GO! GO! GO!" I more like, "Are you having fun? Good. Want a snack? Let's have everyone be a winner. Okay?" 

The truth: I am a little bit afraid to be a soccer mom. There. I said it.

Competitive sports have never been my thing. I'm more of the artsy, drama, music, nature hikes, non-competitive kinda mom.


I've seen all of those parents who are totally into soccer and some of them are scary. They make me want to cry! I can't imagine how their kids feel. I don't want to turn into that. Plus they sit there and trash talk the kids on the other team so horribly. I sit there thinking, "Wait a minute. Aren't these seven and eight year old kids that you are lacerating and beating down verbally? Wait...is that MY seven year old you're talking about?!"

There is a fine line between supporting your child and being, how should I say this... overzealous. I'm determined to stay true to myself, while helping him navigating the world of competition.


In the next couple of weeks, Little Man is going to be making the jump into competitive soccer. I am terrified, but determined to make sure I keep track of what is best for him, and still balance his schedule so that he won't be over-stressed. I am praying for him to be put on a team where the kids (and their parents) have a good outlook about what is important in life. I'm praying for a coach that teaches the kids well and brings out the best in them without berating them. 

I'm praying that I can be adequately supportive of Little Man's love of soccer. He is naturally drawn to anything athletic and usually picks up on any sport easily. That's who he is. I am starting to think that maybe I am here to make sure he stays well rounded (and he's here to get me up and active!)

Vote for me @ Top Mommy Blogs - Mom Blog Directory
Click the banner above to vote for Just B. @Top Mommy Blogs! You can vote once a day.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your support in our journey.