5.23.2013

Learning from the Birds

I love watching birds any time of the year, but in the spring they are especially fascinating to me. The way they carefully take little bits and weave them together to make a home for themselves is inspiring. Looking at all the random pieces separately you'd think 'Yeah...good luck with that.' 

But they keep at it and they make it work.


Unlike us, birds don't worry about what the other birds are saying as they are building their home. They just keep working at making the perfect safe haven for their kids. 

We question whether our house is 'good' enough, comparing ourselves to others. 

Birds know to keep the 'main thing the main thing.' They don't worry about how the other birds feel about their parenting choices. They trust their instincts.

 Nest made? Check. 
Chicks hatched? Check.
 Chicks fed? Check. 
Chicks warm? Check.
 Chicks taught to fly? Check.

Today, I was reminded once again of how one person that I've known from birth does not like my parenting choices. Or the fact that I am a parent at all.

 I wish I were more like the birds, but it still bothers me that this person feels that way. Unfortunately, I let them into my quality world long before I became a parent. It is tough to remove them from it. I want to stomp my foot and demand that they quit being so judgmental and mean, but I know it will make no difference.

And so, I will take a lesson from the birds. I will build my nest. I will keep at it and make it work. My chicks are almost all 'hatched'. I will feed them. Keep them warm. Love them and teach them to fly. 

And try to stop worrying about the other birds.


Vote for me @ Top Mommy Blogs - Mom Blog Directory
Click the banner above to vote for Just B. @Top Mommy Blogs! You can vote once a day.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your support in our journey.