11.05.2012

A "Good Mama"

Not long ago, Little Man and I decided we were long overdue for a good Ethiopian meal.  The fun part for me when we go out is always the interesting people that we meet.Throughout my life, I have had the ability to strike up a conversation with just about anyone. I am guessing that this skill was acquired by watching my grandma, and mom using their gift for gab. 
While at the restaurant, a nice Ethiopian man started chatting with us about where in Ethiopia we were from (great question), if we travelled back every year, etc. At the end of the conversation, he made sure to tell my son that he had a "good mama."
 I love that!
This is not the first time that this has happened. Whenever we are at an Ethiopian restaurant, or somewhere that we have a chance to chat briefly with someone who has immigrated here from Ethiopia, they tell my son that he has a good mom. Why it tickles me so much when a perfect stranger makes this statement I have no idea. Perhaps it is just the fact that I feel that in some way I have just received an additional stamp of approval in raising my Ethiopian child from someone who knows how it should be done.
On our way home, I made sure to point out to Little Man that if he is ever in doubt about whether or not his mom is a keeper or not, just remember that a perfect stranger just said that I was a 'good mama.'
 Little Man just smiled and said "I know Mom."

1 comment:

Thanks for your support in our journey.