4.26.2013

My 'Big' Little Man

The other day while riding in the car, Little Man and I had a brief, but very interesting conversation.

It went something like this.

 Little Man:   "You know, when it's the end, I'd let someone else borrow my heart."

 Me: "You mean when you don't need it anymore?"

Little Man: "Yeah. I'd share it."

Me: "Cool. What made you think of that?"

Little Man: "Oh, I just thought of it. I would do it though."

Me: "That's really nice of you."

In our house, organ donation is maybe not as foreign an idea as it might be in some homes. You see, right around the time Little Man was being born in Ethiopia, I was donating a kidney. I joked at the time that my kidney donation was my 'birthing' experience. Little did I know...Donating my kidney was a no brainer to me. I had two kidneys, was healthy, no kids. Of course I would give one away. (When I was diagnosed with Hodgkin's Lymphoma, I was a little worried about how the chemo would effect my remaining kidney. My oncologist told me not to worry. I had done a good thing donating in the first place, he said, and that should warrant a free pass to any kind of complications. That sounded good to me.)

Little Man has asked many questions about my donated kidney, analyzing the idea (as he likes to do) to decide what he thinks of it. Looks like he agrees with his mama that it's nice to share.

Photo: Lauren Marie Photography

I have to admit, I'm pretty proud of him.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your support in our journey.