2.20.2013

Learning to Ask for Help

I am horribly independent. 

I don't like to bother anyone by asking for help. I don't like to burden others with my problems. I don't like attention focused on me. If you ask me how I'm doing, nine times out of ten I will tell you I'm fine and try to turn the conversation back around to you. I would much rather be on the giving than the receiving end of help.

For the most part, this works for me.

And yet, here I am-a single mom, to my beautiful internationally adopted children, who is adopting for a second time. 

What does that have to do with anything you may ask? 

Well, multi-racial families tend to get more attention where I live. Single mom's get asked more questions as well (who/where's his dad?) Single moms also need to ask people for help and must have a strong support network to be successful. We have to swallow our pride.
And we aren't always 'fine.'

 I have recently been humbled once again to be on the receiving end of three generous donations. I absolutely feel undeserving.  However, this means we have the money bring home Baby B when the time comes. 

You know what?

This single mom is not adopting debt free. I would love to say that was the case for us (you know  like that book I posted about a couple of months ago?),but it's not. I lost thousands of dollars on the failed adoptions from the Congo (after which I switched agencies). I will be paying back a hefty loan for the next few years. I have paired down our expenses to the bare essentials, and am working on several ways to bring in extra income without having to take a second (or third) job outside of the home. 

 It will all work out.

 I am soooo thankful to those who know us (and those who don't!) who have come alongside to help us to bring home Baby B.Our Give1Save1 week was amazing. The Amazon link to help bring home Baby B continus to bring in a little every month (thanks for shopping!)

Paperwork is expensive, but adding a member to our family is priceless.

You are helping to bring a child and family together.

Thank you.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your support in our journey.