2.05.2014

Barely Relevant




Not long ago I was having a conversation with my brother and niece about some band that I had never heard of. They were incredulous. Apparently this group is a big deal. My brother just looked at me after a brief pause and said, "Wow, you're hardly even relevant."


It was ironic actually. I used to be up on all of that 'pop culture' stuff. Movies, music, fashion, etc. Even random facts that I didn't know I had 'absorbed' would come to me in conversations. Sigh, I was almost cool.

I've made a conscious effort to not keep up with what is in during the past few years. What's the big movie of the day? Who knows. Whose song is number one on the top 40 charts? Don't care. Which stars are dating each other? REALLY don't care. What's the 'in' way to wear your hair, the best nail color, the coolest style of jeans? Sometimes I wish I knew-but then I realized that it's an awful lot of work to keep up with it all. I maintain a mildly curious attitude about fashion styles. After all I don't want to be the person walking around in mom jeans. But, there are also things that I just like to wear, because I just like to wear them. Boots for one. And turtleneck sweaters. I love turtleneck sweaters-maybe because I have short hair most of the time and they keep me warmer. Sigh.

I have developed other interests that while not necessarily part of pop culture, they are interesting to me.

I've always been into gardening but lately I've become interested in aquaponics. As soon as I figure out how to set up a system for our family, I'm totally in! And, I dream of  raising enough organic produce that we have extra to can or freeze.

Cardboard sculptures and toys. They are awesome. I've been pinning ideas for awhile. Once I make some, I'll post some pics. I've been saving some cardboard for a project that I have in mind.

Cardboard sculptures in cardboard  with Sculpture Cardboard
http://www.recyclart.org/wp-content/uploads/2009/02/MG_6713.jpg

Oh, and I'd love to have a greenhouse of my own (or better yet, a conservatory attached to the back side of the house.) Plus the writing I've been doing. I've set a deadline of trying to finish one of the books by May. And Little Man and Baby B would have so much fun in a tree house.

While, all of these things are not necessarily the coolest of pursuits, I like to pretend that I'm so off from the mainstream that I'm almost a 'hipster.'. ☺

So, am I irrelevant now? Why yes, little brother, thank you for noticing.

Vote for me @ Top Mommy Blogs - Mom Blog Directory Click the banner above to vote for Just B. @Top Mommy Blogs! You can vote once a day.

2 comments:

  1. I also love to have my own greenhouse, the problem is I have no space. I love growing plants.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Daisyna! You should look into a vertical hydroponics system. (our.windowfarms.org is one site I've looked at) They can be set up in any window that has enough sunlight and take up very little space. I feel like looking at seed catalogs right now! Happy gardening. :)

      Delete

Thanks for your support in our journey.